- Published: 01 July 2013
Club Role Definition – Chairperson / Vice Chairperson
The role of the Chairperson is to oversee the business of the club and to keep order among members. They have overall control, giving direction, keeping focus and giving structure. Their ultimate responsibility is to take decisions on behalf of the committee following consultation with its members. They will also set the vision for the club and take responsibility for the club development plan.
The Vice Chairperson will deputise for the Chairperson in their absence.
- Chair committee meetings and the Annual General Meeting.
- Ensure appropriate documents, including minutes, are available for committee members.
- Ensure that committee members are aware of their roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure that the club is run in accordance with the club's consitution.
- Act as the ambassador and/or spokesperson for the club.
- Own the club's Development Plan, setting the vision for the future, reviewing and updating the plan on a regular basis, and monitoring progress to ensure agreed actions are undertaken.
- May be called upon to act as mediator.
- Confident and effective communicator.
- Great organisational skills.
- Ability to delegate duties.
- An understanding of governance / the club’s constitution.
- An understanding of the club’s Development Plan.
- Ability and knowledge to act as a spokesperson for the club.
- Ability to be unbiased and impartial.
- Knowledgeable on equity issues.
Commitment to Club:
The Chairperson needs to be a regular attendee at club committee meetings, which are held five times a year, and attend the Annual General Meeting.
The Chairperson has to be willing to have their contact details available to club members on the club’s website.
As a spokesperson for the club, the Chairperson will also need to be willing to receive phone calls from members and partners.
The Club’s Commitment to You:
By accepting the role of Chairperson, the club will commit to support you in this role, ensuring that members respect the positive contribution you are making to the club on a voluntary basis.
The club also commits to refunding any expenses necessarily incurred on behalf of the club in a timely manner.