Don's 24 Hours

What's on, who's riding, and results
Richard Knight

Re: Don's 24 Hours

Post by Richard Knight » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 am

Chapeau Sir. Must make some of those long double loops in the winter feel worthwhile. Well done

Don Speight

Re: Don's 24 Hours

Post by Don Speight » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Many thanks. It’s a tough ride. If anyone told me that before the event, I’d managed to shut it out of my mind. It didn’t go to plan. Going well at 8 hours. Struggled in the dark, despite the brilliant lights that Roger lent me. Started to pick up again once it got light, thoroughly enjoying the country lane sections at day break. With 5 hours to go I was confident of breaking 415 and was going well. Then with around 4 hours to go I punctured hitting a horrendous pot hole, on the road back to the Wrexham finishing circuit. Thankfully two kind souls stopped and lent me the spare wheel they had for the rider they were supporting. This I think typifies the spirit of the event. Back on the road it was going to be touch and go. By the finishing circuit I was having to spend quite a bit of time off the bike recovering, before tackling the next lap. With an hour to go, I knew I could get close to Quentin’s club record of just under 413. Initially I thought I’d missed it, but having checked my Garmin figures and adding up the various sections I think the provisional result is correct. We’ll have to wait for the official result, but I think I’ve just got it.

Massive respect for Quentin’s mark. I am sure we had far better conditions this weekend. And I know Roger is well capable of riding further, but has been unlucky on two occasions. I owe huge amount to Roger for his advice and guidance, which has steered me clear of some serious pitfalls.

The whole event is brilliant. It must be so difficult to organise and yet Mersey Roads seem to manage whilst maintaining a very competent yet relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

My support were great, putting up with me through the highs and lows over the 24 hours. I need a little time to rest and reflect to decide whether I might do it again, but it’s certainly a possibility.

Once again, many thanks for your support.

Don