Tyneside Vagabonds 100

What's on, who's riding, and results
Mark Reed

Tyneside Vagabonds 100

Post by Mark Reed » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:57 pm

It's just over a couple of weeks until the club's open 100 mile time trial on Sunday 14th August which also incorporates the Northumberland & Durham Cycling Association 100 mile championship.

Entries are going well and I expect the field to number around 35-40, if not more.

I'm putting out a request to all hardy folk for marshaling duties. It's a tough gig for sure, you'll need to at the HQ for 6.30am for marshal briefing (first rider off 7.01am), and the last rider might be expected to finish by around 1pm. I'll have someone coming round to keep you fed and watered, and maybe entertained, but with a field of 40 there'll probably be riders coming round all the time.

My intention is to use the M100/20 course which is 5 and a bit laps of the M20 Ponteland-Blagdon-Stannington-Tranwell-Gubeon-Ponteland course, which has the start at the large gravel layby just south of Kirkley Hall, and riders finish on their 6th passage of the finish line which is located close to the 30mph restriction sign into Ponteland from Kirkley direction. The course requires 8 marshals of which I currently have a couple of probables.

HOWEVER, as with the last couple of years, there is a potential problem with this course in that there may be roadworks on the Morpeth-Whalton road section with traffic controlled by lights. If this turns out to be the case, riders will be delighted to learn that I already put a police notification in for the M12x8 to be a reserve course (8x Stamfordham-Black Heddon-Walridge-Ingoe-Matfen-Stamf). This course would require roughly the same number of marshals.

If you are able to marshal you would be doing me, the competitors, the club and the N&DCA a great service and it would be much appreciated. Please let me know, or for more information you can reply to this post, send me a PM, email mark.reed@netsparts.com, or call 07944 490 039.

Thanks
Mark

Bob Holywell

Re: Tyneside Vagabonds 100

Post by Bob Holywell » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Mark, unfortunately I can't enter, or help out with marshalling as we leave on our holidays the day before, the 13th.

Mark Reed

Post by Mark Reed » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks Bob, I know you would ride or marshal if available.

The good news is that I've had dialogue with Northumbrian Water and it it expected that the roadworks on the M20 course will be completed, I wouldn't be using the Stamfordham course in any case as part of it has recently been surface dressed.

The bad news is that the event is at serious risk of cancellation due a current lack of marshals for the event, and not being able to satisfy the requirements of the course risk assessment because of that.

I haven't had any new marshals come forward since making the above post, and as a matter of pride I would like that the marshaling positions could be filled by club members without having to go outside the club to ask for help. It is after all, a Tyneside Vagabonds CC promotion and we have something in the region of 250 members.

I only need a minimum of 4 and preferably 6 extra helpers (that would ensure a rider bottle service could be made available and marshal support during the event). PLEASE, if you can, come forward to marshal and ensure this event goes ahead.

Thanks,
Mark

Eileen Reid

Post by Eileen Reid » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Mark, Graeme and I are down for the bottle swap and my daughter and her boyfriend are offering to marshal or other support if needed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordon Atkinson

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi Mark
I can help with marshalling. Sent an email to the address given but got your out of office. You can email via the club's members list
Regards
Gordon

Mark Reed

Post by Mark Reed » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Hello everyone.

I have marshaling covered I think (JUST!), but it's still a bare bones affair which means that we are not currently able to offer riders the famed Vagabond Neutral Bottle Service (kindly organised by Eileen and Graeme), so a couple more marshals would enable that to happen.

Please let me know ASAP.

Also if anyone is free early on only, I could do with a pusher-off, the start times are 7.04-7.40am, the start is near kirkley. Again, please let me know if anyone can do this.

Thanks
Mark

Austin Wilcock

Post by Austin Wilcock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Mark, if you are still looking for a pusher-offer I can make myself available for those duties.

best wishes

Austin

Mark Reed

Post by Mark Reed » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Brilliant, thanks Austin, will send you a message

Mark Reed

Post by Mark Reed » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Apologies for the delay, but here is a quick report on the 100, in which there were some super riders by club riders.

Firstly may I thank club members Gordon Atkinson, Lesley Bennett, Eileen Reid, Graeme Gow, Alan Dick for marshaling the event, and also 'guest' marshals Allen Armstrong, Peter Reed, and Eileen's daughter Sara plus boyfriend. Thanks also to Austin Wilcock for coming down to push off and of course Ray Luckett for timekeeping duties. It was a long day, but everyone seemed to be in reasonably good cheer :D .

The event was won by Carl Donaldson of GS Metro in a scorching time of 3.50.35 - Carl was 8th in this years National 100, and should also finish around 3rd in the BBAR. Second place went to former Vagabond and 2016 National 12hr champion Danny Grieves, again of the Metro finishing a little way behind in 3.54.59. Some way further back in 3rd place was Tom Denwood of Harrogate Nova CC in 4.17.14. Natalie Batey of Tyne & Wear Fire & Rescue Service CC was the first lady in 5.23.56.

Of the Vags, Craig Gow once again produced a personal best and new Junior club record for 100 finishing 1st Junior and 5th overall in 4.25.11. A rejuvenated Paul Rider was the second Vag home in 4.29.46. He was also the fastest Vet on Standard in the event with a plus of +32.22 and will pick up the N&DCA Jack Adams Trophy for being fastest Vet in 100 mile time trial.

Paul was closely followed by Tim Irwin, just 18 seconds behind with a time of 4.30.04, quick enough to see him pick up the Club Championship Trophy in conjunction with his fast 25 and MTT times this season. Don Speight recorded 4.34.18 to collect the V50+ prize, and Alan Macaulay came home in 5.22.06.

Thanks to all those Vags who rode, your support is much appreciated.

In the end it proved hugely difficult to get enough marshals for the event from within the club, and the remaining positions had to be supplemented from elsewhere, luckily this was possible otherwise the event would not have been able to go ahead. It also meant I had to compromise on the quality of the event, and not offer a neutral bottle hand up, which had been in place on the previous three occasions, as Eileen and Graeme, who had organised that service in the past needed to marshal instead. I had to relay this information to disappointed riders on the morning of the event who had not read my pre-email closely enough!

I would urge all members to consider helping out from time to time (and I know there are many who do time and again!) and give something back into the events the club puts on, whether its the 100, the MTT, the club time trials, cyclocross events, circuit races or the mooted road race etc etc. The risk if this doesn't happen is the the events may be lost from the club's portfolio, or even lost from the regional calendar entirely, and the whole club is worse off for that.

Once again congratulations to all the clubs riders and my eternal gratitude to the marshals and helpers on the day.

Thanks
Mark

Don Speight

Post by Don Speight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Just like to say a big thanks to Mark and all those who gave up their time to help out on the day.

To anyone who has competed in a few club 10s and 25s I would thoroughly recommend having a go at the 100. It just needs a bit of planning with the bottles and gels - and maybe a little more care with the pacing.

Look forward to next years - and if I can't ride, will definitely make every effort to help out.

Great event.

Don