Sunday Club Rides

General discussion
Gordon Atkinson

Sunday Club Rides

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 am

I have put a generic item in the calendar for Sunday club rides for C3, C5 and C6 paces throughout the summer (or what passes for summer at the moment), up to the end of August. There will be no club rides on Sunday 1 September, which is the date of the club's 100 mile TT. As far as the C3 ride is concerned, I suggest that we decide the destination on the day (this worked well last Sunday). There will be several Sundays when I will be otherwise occupied during the summer (I imagine that this will be the case with a lot of people). There are Audax events on 7 July which may involve club members as riders or helpers, so there may be no C3 ride that day.

Roger Clarke

Re: Sunday Club Rides

Post by Roger Clarke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think it's a shame that for the first time in 25 years since I joined the club there is no "programme" of destinations set out in advance for the main club rides - in fact I can't see any information about a destination for any future club ride, not just Sundays.

Is everyone really happy to just turn up for every ride not knowing where it might be going? Yes, it works fine for the TOGs which are generally much shorter routes to much the same small set of cafes each week. But for longer rides...

I like to know where the club ride is heading before I leave home so I know how far I'm likely to be riding, how hilly it is, whether I need energy drink in my bottle or not, and so I can give my partner an idea of where I'm going and what time I might be home. If I can see what the plan is a few weeks ahead then I can potentially plan other things around club ride destinations I particularly like and those that I don't.

Obviously weather can intervene and mean that planned destinations aren't always stuck to, but why isn't it possible / desirable to have an outline plan / calendar of ride destinations as a starting point?

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:15 am

At one time the various cycling clubs used to list their Sunday ride destinations in the 'Evening Chronicle'. Over time, most of these became just "Impromptu" and at some point publication of the list stopped. Now, in the digital age, the curse of the Impromptu ride seems to have fallen upon Tyneside Vagabonds. I'll not expand on the reasons for this, but am only sorry that - at the present time, at least - I'm not able to offer my help in getting back to what Roger has described.

Gordon Atkinson

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:35 pm

I'm quite happy to put together a list for the C3 ride (I generally look back to the same period in previous years), but I can't help with the faster groups. I'm thinking Bellingham via West Woodburn for tomorrow.