The P.I.G. - Ride #01 - 7th May 2016

Quentin Field-Boden

The P.I.G. - Ride #01 - 7th May 2016

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:13 pm

This ride is scheduled to take place on Saturday 7th May 2016. Ride details and joining information have been sent out to those who have indicated that they wish to participate.

The ride will cover around 54 miles and should take about 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete. The plan for this ride is to ride together as a cohesive group taking one minute pulls at the front.

In future rides, depending on numbers, we may well split into smaller groups but for the first outing it is important for us all to get the hang of how the rides will play out, to get used to the idea of riding as efficiently as possible and also to make the ride a little more comfortable by riding as a larger group. I cannot stress enough that these are rides where we work for the group, not for ourselves!

Please remember this is a TVCC club ride and please read the original posting about these rides. In particular I'll just mention the following points from the original post again:

1. TVCC 1st claim members only.
2. Club kit mandatory.
3. Helmet mandatory.
4. Rear light advisory.

Link to route previously circulated, this offers you the opportunity to download the file as a .tcx of .gpx file to load onto a Garmin or other device. I would advise you to do this if possible so that we all know where we are going and can get back alone should we need to though I hope this will not be necessary!

Link to current weather forecast for the area previously circulated.

Q :ugeek:

Quentin Field-Boden

Re: The P.I.G. - Ride #01 - 7th May 2016

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Fri May 06, 2016 10:17 am

Hi

First of this ride series is just 24hrs away now. Thanks to those who have said they are coming, if anyone else is planning to come please let me know via the group event and at least we will then know who to expect and I can make sure there are enough mugs, apart from us that is ;-)

Cheers,

Quentin Field-Boden

Re: The P.I.G. - Ride #01 - 7th May 2016

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Sat May 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Well, what fun the first outing of the P.I.G. was :-) Many thanks to the five riders who braved what was not a particularly inviting day.

For the record the temperature was 9-10 degrees throughout and there was a stiff 10-15mph wind from the north which made the initial outward journey somewhat tougher than it might have been on a warm, fine, still day, those days are to come!

For any geeks out there the air density today was 1.232kg/m3 so a bit denser than it would have been at say 15 degrees, the normal at that temperature at sea level would be 1.225kg/m3, that slight increase just serves to make things harder but half a percentage point really isn't much :-)

Looking at my ride data and given the conditions and also including a two minute "rolling pause" every 30 minutes, traffic lights and a mechanical checkup it was pleasing to average just under 21mph for the 53+ miles. We arrived back for drinks and snacks at exactly the predicted time.

Great to be out with you all sporting TVCC kit and many thanks for being so prompt, it makes all the difference. Any suggestions about how I/We can improve things please shout up!

Onward!

Attachments
Smaller - 1 (1).jpg
Smaller - 1 (1).jpg (245.89 KiB) Viewed 581 times