Training Rides 2016 - The P.I.G.

Quentin Field-Boden

Training Rides 2016 - The P.I.G.

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Some members may remember the chain-gang style “whistle” rides I arranged a few years ago which seemed to provide quite a lot of entertainment and “enjoyment” for those involved. I thought now that the series of successful winter training rides arranged by Chris Heppell have ended until November this might be a good time to arrange a new series of rides along the previous lines. I have consulted with Chris and he sees no conflict with his arrangements and I think feels that another series of training rides would be complimentary.

The purpose of the rides would be purely for training, these would not be “leisure” rides in the usual sense. The objective of the rides will be to maintain and hopefully even improve general aerobic fitness through long “tempo” type rides which are often challenging to do as a solo rider, there will be no stops. This ride or group will, probably aptly, be named the TVCC P.I.G. or Performance Improvement Group :)

My plan would initially be to run a ride fortnightly between May and September and see how it goes, weekly rides would be an option if there was the interest and a decision would be made on this in the light of experience. It might then be possible to transition over to Chris’s winter rides with an ongoing indoor training programme (during bad weather months) provided online to support that. I could deliver that via TrainingPeaks using my coaching account, there may be a cost to that if it happened but it would be small.

I would plan a small number of circuits for these rides which would be used in rotation. The use of similar routes for training rides has many benefits, particularly in terms of looking at progress, and as the purpose of the rides is to train rather than to admire the scenery huge variety is not really an issue. I would almost certainly start the rides at our cottage in Woodhorn Village where we could make coffee available beforehand. These rides will aim to deliver a solid period of work so will not be heading into very hilly areas, the idea is to stay together as a group, or several small groups, hilly rides are for other days.

My initial thoughts for the rides are along the following lines:

1. TVCC 1st claim members only.
2. Club kit mandatory.
3. Helmet mandatory.
4. Rear light advisory.

Points 2-4 will give the impression of an organised group which will be likely to be treated with greater respect by drivers, based on past experience.

5. As a guide to fitness riders must initially be capable of riding SOLO at 17mph for 50-60 miles.
6. Riders must be able to get themselves back to the start in the event of a puncture or mechanical. Unless a problem developed very late in the ride the group will continue.
7. Initial average speed will be 18-20mph.
8. Riders must be familiar with group riding etiquette and be prepared to ride for the good of the group. These are NOT the rides for you if your objective is to try to be the last rider standing, these are team efforts.
9. TT bikes are welcome but a fundamental rule is that tri/aerobars CAN ONLY BE USED when a rider is on the front of the group, NOT when following a wheel. We are not a group of professional TTT riders and here are two examples of why this is important:

https://youtu.be/iArwm3zguZg

https://youtu.be/GaQJB_bWA4c

My initial thought would be that if these rides were fortnightly they would act as a training focus, certainly if one’s training stops, as the group speed rises and the rides get longer, these rides could become quite unpleasant experiences!

If there is sufficient interest I would hope to start this ride series on Saturday May 7th 2016. I would expect the first rides to last about 2.5 hours and for the rides to extend over time. As rides get longer I may well arrange a “pop-up stop” where bottles could be refilled.

If you are interested in these rides please either:

1. Post a message here.
2. Email me at: qfieldboden@gmail.com
3. Send me a PM on Facebook.
Last edited by Quentin Field-Boden on Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Dick

Re: Training Rides 2016 - The P.I.G.

Post by Alan Dick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:51 pm

I may not be able to make every ride but I'm certainly interested Quentin.

Nick Wild

Post by Nick Wild » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 pm

I would be interested but again couldn't make every week. What time were you thinking the rides would start?

Ken Thursby

Post by Ken Thursby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 am

Hi Quentin,
I really enjoyed your training rides a few years back.
I'm in.
Cheers, Ken

Quentin Field-Boden

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:54 am

Nick Wild wrote:I would be interested but again couldn't make every week. What time were you thinking the rides would start?
Hi Nick,

My thought would be to start at a decent time, get the work done, then get on with the rest of the day :-)

My suggestion would be to start riding at 09:30 and if anyone wanted a coffee, cake, biscuit, before setting off they arrive at 09:00 for a bit of "social" time.

In terms of organisation I plan to post basic information to the forum but also to use Facebook Events for the rides as some people (including me) would find this convenient.

Q :ugeek:

Russ Hughes

Post by Russ Hughes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi Quentin. I'm a regular on Chris's training rides and this would be a good continuation of that. Count me in.

Thanks

Russ

Quentin Field-Boden

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi

Just an update, based on the responses to date it looks as if this ride series may well be a runner. Here is a list of the names so far registered:

Alan Dick
Nick Wild
Ken Thursby
Russ Hughes
Richard Knight
Chris Ellaby
Josh Craven
Quentin Field-Boden

I think the minimum number for a ride to run will be 4 riders. In the event that there were say 6 or more riders I would split the group into two smaller groups at least for part of the ride. The two groups would ride a reasonable distance apart to allow cars to get past easily and to avoid the draughting periods between pulls being to long as this hugely reduces the training value.

In the past where there have been enough riders to warrant two groups we have reformed after maybe 30 miles and ridden together for the latter part of the session which worked well, it came as a welcome relief. Regardless of the number for the first outing I would plan just one group so that we all get into the same riding "system".

Actual events will be dictated by the numbers on any given day but that's the general plan.

Will keep this thread updated and will also start a communication flow on Facebook for Facebook users amongst us. If you wish to be included in that circulation method drop me a friend request if we are not already hooked up and I will add you to a Facebook Group I will be using for the purpose.

Q :ugeek:

Graeme Gow

Post by Graeme Gow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:40 am

Craig and I are up for this. The benefits of our structured (but torturous) Majorca training are testament to this type of workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Heppell

Post by Chris Heppell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi Quentin,

I'm in. Probably can't make all the rides but when I can I'll be there.
Really enjoyed these when you hosted them a few years ago, excellent rides.

Cheers Chris

David Wall

Post by David Wall » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi, Quentin
I'd like to join these training rides.
Thanks David