Vags Race Team Results!

Race news and results for the Vags Race Team
Roger Clarke

Vags Race Team Results!

Post by Roger Clarke » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I think we need to make some noise about the fantastic results the Vags Race Team is getting this year - we don't do enough to shout about how good we are as a team. Here are a few excellent results we have had just recently that we should be proud of and congratulate our members on...

You might not know that Anna Turvey has rejoined the club racing both TTs and on the road. So far this year she has already broken club records at 10 miles (21:22 in the North Tyneside Riders event where she won the ladies race) and 25 miles (56:08 in the Stockton Wheelers event where she was also fastest lady). She has also amassed 53 points for the club in road races, with a fantastic performance in the National Women's Tour of the Reservoir race this weekend where she finished 8th overall against the country's best riders, and first North East rider.

Adam Wild finished 3rd in the hilly 21 this Saturday with a personal best time of 48:10, just 14 seconds off the win and only 6 seconds behind Jon Sturman. Fantastic performance!

The previous weekend Craig Gow put in another superb performance in the local Imann trophy 2nd/3rd/4th race at Saltwick Hill. Against all the local hitters he finished 12th, in sight of the winner, and dare I say with just one G.S. Metro rider in front of him.

Matty Wells has been representing the club at the National Youth Cricuit races in Hetton this weekend. It was a big step up to a new age group but he put in a valiant perfromance - it is no mean feat to even qualify for one of these youth races.

Looking at the BC rankings, we have had national points scored by Anna Turvey, Joe Tubby, Henry Knight, Craig Gow, Miriam Jessett, Matty Wells, and Ted Buckingham, which puts the club in 101st place nationally out of 695 clubs/teams. To put this into perspective, this puts the club race team in 7th place out of all North East clubs / teams, and just a couple of points behind outfits such as Manilla Cycling. We also have the most national ranking points of any club or team bar none in the Northern (Tyneside / Northumberland) part of the region!

In the regional rankings Craig and Graeme Gow have both scored points, putting us in 14th place in the North East region.

Let's blow our own trumpet a bit more about the results our team are getting!

Quentin Field-Boden

Re: Vags Race Team Results!

Post by Quentin Field-Boden » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Well said Roger and hearty congratulations to all the Tyneside Vagabonds riders racing so strongly in a range of events at a range of ages.

Based on my recent experience of having my sorry old ar$e kicked around Majorca by Graeme and Craig I know a lot of training, time, effort and expense goes into these things and I applaud you all.

Terrific to see a rider of the calibre of Anna Turvey returning to ride for TVCC, she will I am sure be a great role model and mentor for many.

Chapeau!

Chris Ellaby

Post by Chris Ellaby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Well done to all. Fantastic achievements, and so much more to come.

Graeme Gow

Post by Graeme Gow » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 am

Craig got another fantastic 8th place at the weekend and 10 more points for the club in a very strong Junior event up here in Scotland.
Again he finished within 3 seconds of the winner and second placed riders (Alexander Macrae and Joseph Nally). Joe came 11th in the Junior Paris Roubaix a couple of weeks ago.
Both names I'm sure Chris Bush will tell you have excellent pedigrees.
Craig and Joe tried to get away from the pack together with a few miles to go, but were soon reeled in and it came down to the bunch sprint. Another great result for Craig and more very valuable points towards his next category licence.
There are 7 Vags racing on Sunday 24th in the Sloan Trophy at Stamfordham. Good luck to them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am

Well said Michael. What's the course and when does it start / what is the expected finish time?

Martin Wells

Post by Martin Wells » Sun May 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Matty Wells had a taste of victory today winning the U14 North East MTB league event at the farm. A great result for him and a well composed race having sat in 3rd for most of the race then bridging the gaps to finally catch the leader in the last lap and going straight through onto the front with a third of a lap to go. :D

Alan Holmes

Post by Alan Holmes » Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Well done Matty

Alex Mason

Post by Alex Mason » Sun May 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Smashing result - Well done Matty!

Martin Wells

Post by Martin Wells » Mon May 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Another weekend and some more fantastic performances and results from the race team.
Some fantastic racing at Middlesborough today for the town centre crits and race of the day must go to Craig Gow for his determined and composed ride in the 3/4. Getting away in the early small break and almost looking comfortable at times although I bet the heart rate monitor may differ! Fantastic to watch and great to see the race craft developing along with the power. Bravo

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Tue May 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks for the updates Martin, and well done to Matty in the MTB race.

I think there were also some young race team members taking part in the Muddy Monday series this weekend.