Sunday C5 winter rides

Keith Aungiers

Re: Sunday C5 winter rides

Post by Keith Aungiers » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 am

This would be a ride to gladden an old tourist's heart even if my legs aren't up to it. You've missed out the Tunstall Reservoir return option though! 'Something a little different' sounds like code for a well known climb. Have a good day.
Roger Clarke wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 pm
Forecast looks good enough for Stanhope this Sunday - 5C at Stanhope and a south westerly wind. Round trip from Ponteland is 66 miles with 5,500 feet of climbing, so bring your climbing legs. Route out is via Muggleswick Common, lunch in Stanhope after 31 miles, then returning via Wolsingham and Lanchester for something a little different ending up at Swalwell via the descent of Whickham Bank. I will be heading straight home via the Scotswood Bridge at that point but would suggest anyone returning to Pont uses the Newburn Bridge and via Throckley. Should be a good day out.

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:11 pm

Well last Sunday's ride to Stanhope turned out to be a cracking ride, though with some pretty awful conditions at the top of Crawleyside on the way out (cold driving rain). The return route via Wolsingham and Cornsay was great with a tailwind although there were some tired legs. All makes for a memorable ride.

I shall not be out this Sunday though I believe Bob will lead a ride to Simonburn. I understand there is a running race at Ovingham so best to avoid that area, but I don't think that is the intended route.

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:06 pm

So the Sunday C5 winter rides have been brought to a premature end.

It has been an enjoyable series of rides to a variety of places, and I'd especially like to thank Bob and Robin as the most regular participants - Bob for stretching my legs on the hills and Robin for allowing me to take it slightly easier than might otherwise have been the case! Plus of course everyone else who has come along on one or more of the rides.

I know my fitness has improved greatly because of these rides, and when I'm suffering on the turbo all I have to do is picture Bob's wheel in front of me and push a bit harder...

This Sunday's ride was to have been to The Sill at Once Brewed, riding out up the Stanegate. I had the opportunity to ride the route by myself today, taking sandwiches to maintain my social distancing. Such a shame we didn't get to ride this as a group. Maybe next year, and with luck we'll be back to club riding again for next winter's series of rides.

Bob Boak

Post by Bob Boak » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Roger I have really enjoyed your C5 rides and the great company I hope its not to long before we can do it all again